Specialists in Special Education Law
Federal and state special education laws impose significant requirements on school districts and the schools that provide special education services, such as Approved Private Schools in Pennsylvania.
We have significant experience providing counsel and advocacy services to Approved Private Schools on a wide range of regulatory issues impacting schools including background checks, wage and hour issues, hiring, termination, and policies and procedures. We also represent school clients on issues arising under IDEA, the Pennsylvania School Code and other regulations affecting schools and their students. We regularly assist with preparation for and participation in IEP meetings, mediations and due process hearings. Our relationships with local school districts and their solicitors allow us to effectively advocate for you and minimize or even preempt potential areas of dispute.
- Represented approved private school client in FERPA dispute.
- Represented approved private school clients in contested IEP meetings.
- Liaison between special education school and law enforcement in intra-student disputes resulting in criminal charges.
- Draft policies and procedures for approved private school clients regarding all facets of operations.
- Provide counsel and advocacy services to approved private school client in acquisition of school and transfer of license.
Our partner, Sigmund J. Fleck, had the pleasure of addressing a recent meeting of the Eastern Region of the Alliance of Approved Public Schools of Pennsylvania. Sigmund made a brief presentation on recent developments affecting private schools during the Covid-19 Pandemic, specifically focused on current requirements for compensatory services for special education students, and accommodations…